Welcome to Art
Visual Art Teacher
While you child is enrolled at BHE, he/she will attend a weekly 40 minute art class. I will introduce various famous artists, and I will guide them in the creation of projects to explore how artists use lines, shapes, colors, textures, space, and form. When I view my students' art I focus on letting them know that:
1. They are unique and special
2. Nobody else can do and say things their way
3. Art is a safe and wonderful way to express their own special experiences and feelings
4. There is no one right way to do things in art
LET ME TELL YOU A LITTLE ABOUT MYSELF:
I am a native South Carolinian, and I graduated from the University of South Carolina with a degree in Art Education. I’ve earned National Board Certification, and I have a Master’s Degree in curriculum and instruction from Lesley University. I’ve been teaching art for over 15 years. I began drawing and writing stories at an early age. In 2010, I received a grant to write, illustrate, and publish a children's book, Fudge the Horse. Information about this book can be found at www.fudgethehorse.com Children's art has always fascinated me, and I am continually thankful to be in the field of children's art education.
MY PHILOSOPHY OF ART:
My goal is to create a nurturing environment for your child to grow in artistic expression and creative ability, to feel free to experiment while solving artistic assignments, and to learn to work cooperatively with other children.
Here are some interesting definitions of art as taken from the book Art for the Fun of it by Peggy Jenkins:
Art is a language that crosses time, space, and cultures.
Art is the signature of a civilization.
Art is to society as dreams are to a person.
Art is an extension of the person, an expression of who I am and what I am
Art….a private feeling made into a public form.
VALUE OF ART TO THE CHILD
- Develops creative thinking
- Provides means of communication and self-expression
- Serves as an emotional release
- Strengthens the self-concept and confidence
- Increases self understanding
- Heightens aesthetic awareness and sensitivity
- Enhances the ability to visualize
- Provides problem solving and decision making opportunities
- Develops appreciation for the individuality of others
- Leads to the integration of the individual
- Serves as a balance to classroom activities
- Aids physical coordination
- Develops good work habits and a sense of responsibility
- Aids the adult in understanding and helping the child
- Generates joy